Today I will be using a feature on gatherer to take 7 random cards in the history of Magic: The Gathering and rank them and state the reason. Here are the cards:
Reprisal, Reincarnation, Kozilek’s Predator, Szadek Lord of Secrets, Dreamborn Muse, Spike Rogue, Distant Memories
7. Spike Rogue – Spike Rogue is a situational creature. It can move around +1/+1 counters from creature to creature, but it requires a lot of mana to do so. It isn’t terrible, but the rest of the options were better. Simic Guildmage is normally a better option than this card.
6. Kozilek’s Predator – This colored Eldrazi can ramp you into 7 mana by your next turn, which could potentially let you drop a bomb too early for an opponent to respond to. It is also a decent 3/3 body for 4, and if you really need chump blockers, you can use them for that too.
5. Dreamborn Muse – Dreamborn Muse is not as good as its sister, Graveborn muse, but it can be good in a mill deck potentially. Not a terribly good card, but making them draw a lot and then punishing them afterwards can be pretty nice.
4. Reprisal – This card is what it is, a kill spell. You can’t ever go wrong with one of these, so it has to be higher up on the list. Cards like these have become obsolete due to Path to Exile and Swords to Plowshares.
3. Reincarnation – This card can protect your creatures from kill spells and mass removal, which can come in very handy. It also works against -1/-1 counters that can kill your indestructible creatures. It is also really nice that you can bring back any creature, so say first turn entomb then bring Iona, Shield of Emeria into your graveyard to bring it back turn 3 or earlier. Just imagine a Blightsteel Colossus erupting from your eldrazzi spawn.
2. Distant Memories – This is a solid draw spell. Either you tutor for a card that you need at the moment, or draw three cards. Either way you come out on top. It isn’t as good as Ancestral Recall, but then again, now draw spell is or ever will be.
1. Szadek, Lord of Secrets – The commander of the elusive and secretive Dimir Guild on the plane of Ravnica, Szadeck will seriously hurt any opponent who gets hit by him. After the second swing from Szadeck, the opponent will have milled 15 cards and made Szadeck a 20/20 flier.
You can buy these cards and more on http://www.mtgfanatic.com/, where you can find great low prices and many rewards programs and giveaways.